Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Beyond keeping the memory of my dear friend alive, one of the things that I hope this blog will do in the future is help other people who may be facing similar situations. I will never forget how I felt when Kell was murdered. The sadness, anger, disbelief, and pain were overwhelming. I vividly remember constantly feeling lost and hopeless—blaming myself, blaming others around me, even blaming Kelly-Anne herself. These emotions were always there, but it was only when life began to return to normal, and when I began discovering that my normal was forever altered, that they became completely overwhelming.

I can remember wondering how I would ever go on without Kell? How could I possibly be expected to live a normal life again when something so tragic happened? I can remember hours spent in front of my computer desperately hoping that I might find a resource to help me. I knew there were grief counselors and therapists, but they weren’t going to change what happened—no one could bring Kell back. What I was really searching for was a person going through the same thing I was. I think I probably googled thousands of things ranging from “coping with murder” to “how do you deal with the loss of your best friend” and couldn’t find anything that I was really looking for.

I hope this website might be that resource for others. I hope that through my writings I will show that though Kelly-Anne is something that can never be replaced, the pain of the loss will eventually subside somewhat. At first, the grief is so completely overwhelming you can’t begin to understand how your life will ever go on. I vividly remember, maybe a few weeks after Kell was killed, my dad telling me that one day my pain won’t be as raw as it is now. Though he was absolutely right, it actually made me feel worse. If I accepted that the pain wouldn’t always be this bad it might actually mean I was accepting that she really was never coming back. And that, of course, was something I couldn’t really accept.

I could never really find what I was searching for. I wanted someone to tell me what it was like coping with murder. I understood losing people because of illness and tragic accidents, but murder was a completely different ball game. How could someone have decided to take her life? Why should she have suffered such a horrendous fate? Did she know exactly how much she was loved even though none of us got to say goodbye? How could I have spent time with someone who was capable of killing another human being?

Don’t get me wrong, I still don’t have answers to most of these questions, but I have learned to deal with them day by day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Raye,
How well said....I think in some ways I need to feel the pain each day. I'll never stop mourning the lost of my Kelly-Anne.For instance today at work, at morning break, I was with my friends and I must say one of my friends can be just like Oscar the Grouch. He too lost a son at the age of 24 to illness so we understand each other, but today I told him he reminded me of the Sesame Street character, and as I told him so I could feel tears rolling down my face as I remembered Kelly-Anne gleefully standing in front of the tv as a little girl dancing away when the music of the Sesame street show would come on. How she just loved Big Bird !
Then, afterwards I went to visit another supervisor in her office,... a girl you and Kelly-Anne's age. She was on the phone taking her messages and making funny grimaces. I looked at her and started crying as her facial expressions were just like Kell's. I'm not shy to cry at work, in from of my collegues. They need to be remindered that my lost is so overwelming and I constantly remind them that I do not want any of them to ever have to walk in my shoes. I do not want any other families to join this club of living a lfe sentence without an eligability for parole.I painfully miss my Kelly-Anne today and will always.

Doreen